Saturday, June 6, 2009

I wear Specs

Well, this is not a description of how I look like; rather it’s a description of how we look at the world. Though I had read about this n number of times but it was an accident that made me realize this. I am hale and hearty and nothing happened to me, just that that I managed to lose my specs for a day and thus had to wear the much hated lenses.
Why I hate the lenses is a different story, what happened after I wore them is - what I want to convey.
To start with; the whole world looked completely different. On the physical side, things looked a little bigger (my lenses and specs have the same power but still the world through each of them is different. Is it because of the difference in the distance between my eyes and the lenses? May be.)
Also the world looked shorn of its color. It was still colorful, but not as bright as was the day before. Now I don’t know the exact reason for this! As I told you, my lenses and specs, both have the same power. So, things should look exactly the same through each of them, giving concession to the fact the specs are worn on the face whereas lenses are directly on the pupils. I think, distance might have a role to play but that should only change the size of the objects and not the brightness!
So was it my mood that made the world look dull?
Well, I was irritated throughout the day as the irritation in my eyes was having a telling affect on my overall disposition. So I guess that was the reason behind the world being gloomy.
But at a metaphysical level, I think, all of us wear lenses or specs to look at the world.
To some, the world looks very big and they are afraid of getting lost, while for others the world is a small place to live. For some the world is flat, while for others its round.
There are people for whom the world is a beautiful place, while still for others it is ugly.
For some the world is full of colors, for some others its grey and rest thinks it is all black and white.
Some look at the world from a distance and take and objective view and then there are others who take a subjective view.
Today I wear my specs and look at the world from a distance to get an objective view. There is no hatred in my eyes which, the lenses and the accompanied prejudice had brought into my disposition. And the world looks small not crowded ,but small where everyone is linked to each other. And I am enjoying the beauty of life showered upon us with all its colors.
This is why I wear my specs. What are you wearing?

Originally published on 3/18/08 @ Mumbai

No comments:

Post a Comment